* RB Peyton Barber has been committed to Ole Miss for a few months now, but the Canes came in and offered him back in November. He's talked about taking a visit here. He went to UCLA this past weekend but left without changing his commitment. He is set to see Tennessee this weekend, and Ole Miss next weekend. Miami could get the last visit on 2/1, the same weekend New York's Augustus Edwards is scheduled to visit. That's also a time when UM's coaches should know exactly what 5-star Alex Collins (Jan 18 visitor) will have decided to do.
* 3-star TE commit Jeremy Kerr took an official visit to Florida State this past weekend but remains unchanged with his commitment to the Canes. He also visited UConn back in December. He saw Miami last month, and remains committed. However, Florida State needs another tight end and they're actively trying to change his mind. It hasn't happened yet but it's something that could happen between now and signing day.
* 4-star OL Denver Kirkland took a visit to South Florida, but it was shorter than expected. He didn't spend the whole weekend there, and my USF sources believe the Bulls are way on the outside here. He's already been to FSU and Ole Miss as well. FSU remains the top competition, and he's set to visit here this weekend.
* Speaking of OL prospects, a new one could be emerging. Juco OL Matt Finnin. At 6-foot-8 and 305 pounds, Finnin told Scout today that he has talked with Mario Cristobal already. He's taken visits to Kansas, Maryland, and Oklahoma so far and has one scheduled to Nebraska. Miami is unlikely to offer since they already have two solid OT commitments but he's someone to keep an eye on down the stretch.
* 4-star DE Tim Williams visited Alabama over the weekend, and told Scout tonight that he has committed to the Crimson Tide. At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, Williams says he is done with his visits. Miami had been in good shape all along but he seems to have made up his mind, and the Canes will not get a chance to change it.
* 4-star DT Keith Bryant visited Florida State over the weekend, but did not make a commitment to the Noles. They're Miami's top competition, and probably where he'd sign if NSD were tomorrow. The UM coaches still have time to flip him, and a successful visit here later in the month is exactly what could make that happen. It seems like a neck-and-neck battle right now.
* 5-star LB Reuben Foster visited Washington over the weekend (his 2nd trip there, which is important to note since he's never been here) but did not commit. He plans to see Alabama this weekend, and then Georgia on the 25th. If he visits here, it would likely be on 2/1. Miami's chances seem to be fading fast for the nation's top-rated MLB prospect.
* 5-star OLB Matthew Thomas visited Alabama over the weekend but did not commit to the Tide. They're Miami's top competition right now. He is set to visit USC this weekend, and then plans to see Florida State and Georgia. He's still on schedule for a signing day announcement. Miami's chances seem to be higher than ever, although it's far from over and you know Bama and FSU aren't going to make it easy on Miami.
* The Canes will resume official visits this coming weekend, and we'll preview those players later in the week when all the players finalize their plans (recruiting changes daily so we won't preview them until everything's all set on Friday).